Course DescriptionAdobe Illustrator is the industry standard computer illustration software. Use Illustrator to draw shapes and design logos, flyers, posters, banners, business cards or any other vector graphics for print or web. In this course, you will learn Adobe Illustrator fundamentals to set up a print document and use various tools to draw, type and color all kinds of shapes and illustrations. Learn how to efficiently manage layers and artboards, and create print ready PDF documents. Access to Adobe Illustrator software required.
Getting to Know the Interface and Drawing Tools
- Interface menus, tools and panels.
- Working with various drawing and transformation tools
- Drawing anything from simple to complex shapes and illustrations.
Working with Color and Text
- Working with color panels in the software
- Creating, managing and applying color and color groups
- Learning how to type and format text using various text formatting and styling tools and panels.
Working with Layers and Pen tool
- Layers and layer management.
- Working with the Pen tool.
- Modifying a drawing using Pen tool options.
Working with Artboards
- Creating and managing multiple Artboards
- Learning how to layout and design corporate package
- Business cards, letterhead and envelopes
- Creating print-ready PDF files
About Your Instructor:
Andy Helmi is a graphic and website designer, technical consultant and an online marketing specialist located in Vancouver, BC, Canada. His education background includes over ten years of academic training in electronic/computer engineering, graphic and web design, music and digital photography. Andy’s professional experience in digital media started in 1996. He has worked for a few companies and also has been running his own freelance design business ever since.
Andy also has passion for teaching. He is an Adobe certified instructor and has completed “BC Instructional Skills” certification. He has been developing courses/programs and teaching at several local colleges and universities including Vancouver School Board, Vancouver Community College, Langara College and Kwantlen Polytechnic University.
- Upon successful completion of this workshop students should be able to:
- Work comfortably with the software most common tools and panels
- Create and edit all sorts of print documents
- Insert images, draw shapes, paint, type and apply color
- Design and save print ready digital files
For all online Adobe classes, students are responsible for purchasing their own software for their course. Trial versions of Adobe software are sometimes available on the Adobe company website.
If you're taking the entire “Graphic Design certificate” you'll need Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign. Otherwise you may sign up for a single software.
More information on Adobe Creative Cloud software can be found at adobe.com.
To learn about Adobe Illustrator CC interface and work with menus, tools and panels.
To draw and edit simple and complex shapes using shape and transform tools
To work with color panels to create, manage and edit color and color groups
To work with type and text formatting tools
To work with documents, layers and artboards
Applies Towards the Following Digital Badges
- Graphic Design Software Essentials Digital Badge : Graphic Design Software Essentials Digital Badge
Make every day count. Discover your passions. Advance your career. Play and learn.
I started a new job as a graphic and web designer and the digital badge I got was part of the reason they chose to hire me. I couldn't have done it without you!
David is a truly amazing teacher who makes learning the harmonica lots of fun. His enthusiasm is contagious and he has a heart of gold.
The Writing Salon was so much more than a writing class. The experience was energetic, enthusiastic and supportive. I highly recommend this class for anyone who wants to develop their skills as a writer!
As always, your Spanish classes are packed with new information about the language. You make it easy to learn Spanish and keep it very interesting. Thank you!
I have participated in many LLI classes over the past two years. Gary is a terrific discussion facilitator and brings excellent background knowledge to our classes. I'm learning so much about Foreign Policy.
Just want to let you know how much I enjoyed your class. Hope you will have more classes since I am a novice in the wine area and am anxious to learn.