Learn how to write SQL code to create and populate database tables and how to write simple SQL queries that are capable of retrieving vast amounts of information from a database. You will discover the power of the relational database, how to create and manage database tables, and how to use SQL Select statements to precisely pinpoint and retrieve data from a database.
Note: This course is part of a Digital Badge for those who wish to earn a credential. You may register for this individual class, but if If you would like to earn the Digital Badge, register for LRN0164- Online Self-Paced SQL Digital Badge.
Unit 1 - The Relational Database and Structured Query Language
- The relational database structure
- Structured Query Language
- Table creation and data insertion
- Defining datatypes and constraints
- Creating Indexes
Unit 2 - Table Management
- Table management
- Adding columns to a table
- Deleting columns from a table
- Deleting a table
Unit 3 - Selecting and Retrieving Data
- Creating a SELECT statement to retrieve data
- Using DISTINCT to display unique values in a column
- Using the AS keyword to create an alternate name for a column
- Merging columns
Unit 4 - Filtering Data
- Creating a WHERE clause
- Using comparison, character, and logical operators to match conditions
- Using the IN operator to match a condition
- Using the BETWEEN operator to match a condition
Cecelia Allison - Instructor
Dr. Cecelia Allison is an experienced software tester and technical specialist with more than 15 years of hands-on experience using and teaching SQL. She is also a technical writer, a published author, and a university professor. She holds a Bachelor of Science in finance, a Master of Science in information systems and a Doctor of Business Administration in management information systems.
- Understand the structure of a relational database and how SQL is used to query a relational database structure.
- Learn how to use SQL script to create and populate database tables.
- Be able to use SQL script to select, retrieve, and filter data from a database.
- Windows 8 or later. Macs are not compatible.
- Necessary rights (local administrative rights) to install programs on the computer.
Applies Towards the Following Digital Badges
- SQL Digital Badge : SQL Digital Badge
Make every day count. Discover your passions. Advance your career. Play and learn.
I started a new job as a graphic and web designer and the digital badge I got was part of the reason they chose to hire me. I couldn't have done it without you!
David is a truly amazing teacher who makes learning the harmonica lots of fun. His enthusiasm is contagious and he has a heart of gold.
The Writing Salon was so much more than a writing class. The experience was energetic, enthusiastic and supportive. I highly recommend this class for anyone who wants to develop their skills as a writer!
As always, your Spanish classes are packed with new information about the language. You make it easy to learn Spanish and keep it very interesting. Thank you!
I have participated in many LLI classes over the past two years. Gary is a terrific discussion facilitator and brings excellent background knowledge to our classes. I'm learning so much about Foreign Policy.
Just want to let you know how much I enjoyed your class. Hope you will have more classes since I am a novice in the wine area and am anxious to learn.