Whether you are sending out a press release, communicating internally with a memo or promoting your own skills on LinkedIn, strong writing skills are the key to success. Come away with the tools and techniques you need to improve your copywriting skills and learn how to avoid the common writing mistakes that can hold you back.
Course OutlineUnit 1
- How to tell the difference between bad copy and good copy
- The art of the perfect sentence
- Developing your message
- Crafting your document roadmap
- Adapting your style to the audience and messag
Getting to the Point
- Clarity and brevity: Less is more
- Active vs. Passive Voice
- Cutting the clutter
- Using concrete examples and avoiding unwarranted superlatives
- Leaving yourself time for revisions
- Avoiding common grammar mistakes and punctuation pitfalls
- Subject, verb and object agreement
- Fact checking
- The benefits of having an in-house style guide
Creating Attention-grabbing Press Releases
- Writing benefit-driven copy
- Setting the right tone
- Language to use and language to avoid
- Writing a great headline
About your instructor:
Kathryn Will is a professional writer, editor and content curator. She specializes in social media, content creation and inbound marketing as project coordinator for a national organization. She also spent five years working for Michigan’s largest news and information source, MLive.com, where she won a number of awards for her writing and reporting. She has a Bachelor’s of Science in Journalism.
Learner OutcomesAt the end of this course, you will:
- Take away skills that enable you to write clear, compelling copy.
- Be able to communicate your goals, thoughts and objectives more effectively.
- Know how to make the best word choices.
- Have the ability to easily adapt your writing style to your target audience.
- Know how to spot and avoid common grammatical error
- To address the overall importance of strong writing skills
- To provide a clear understanding of correct sentence structure and proper punctuation
- To explain the best techniques for self editing
- To address the challenges of succinct writing
- To provide resources for continued writing enhancement
Applies Towards the Following Digital Badges
- Business Writing Digital Badge : Business Writing Digital Badge
Make every day count. Discover your passions. Advance your career. Play and learn.
I started a new job as a graphic and web designer and the digital badge I got was part of the reason they chose to hire me. I couldn't have done it without you!
David is a truly amazing teacher who makes learning the harmonica lots of fun. His enthusiasm is contagious and he has a heart of gold.
The Writing Salon was so much more than a writing class. The experience was energetic, enthusiastic and supportive. I highly recommend this class for anyone who wants to develop their skills as a writer!
As always, your Spanish classes are packed with new information about the language. You make it easy to learn Spanish and keep it very interesting. Thank you!
I have participated in many LLI classes over the past two years. Gary is a terrific discussion facilitator and brings excellent background knowledge to our classes. I'm learning so much about Foreign Policy.
Just want to let you know how much I enjoyed your class. Hope you will have more classes since I am a novice in the wine area and am anxious to learn.