- Understanding your roles and responsibilities.
- What are the Four Functions of Management?
- Defining Planning.
- Defining Organization.
- Defining Controlling.
- Defining Leading and Motivating.
- How do the four functions help you manage more effectively?
- Identifying which of the four functions is your strength.
- Identifying which of the four functions you should improve and why.
Unit 2: The Role of the Supervisor - Conclusion:
- Application of the Planning function and your benefits.
- Application of the Organizing function and your benefits.
- Application of the Controlling function and your benefits.
- Application of the Leading and Motivating function and your benefits.
- Measuring the outcomes of application of the Four Functions of Management.
Unit 3: Delegation and Employee Engagement:
- The multiple benefits of delegation.
- Identifying your specific benefits.
- Myths and barriers of delegation.
- Identifying your specifics barriers.
- Understanding the distinction between delegating a task and delegating responsibility.
- How delegation increases employee job satisfaction.
- How delegation increases employee retention and skill sets.
Unit 4: Delegation and Employee Engagement - Conclusion:
- Understanding the Delegation Model.
- How to translate the steps of the model to specific language
- and behaviors.
- Creating your own delegation script.
- Application of the Delegation Model.
- Measuring the outcomes of your delegation.
Unit 5: Performance Management:
- Defining performance management.
- Understanding the difference between behavior and attitude.
- Identifying and interpreting employee behavior.
- Translating performance into actionable behaviors that can be addressed.
- Holding employees accountable for performance, job responsibilities.
- How employee expectations can be undermined by your actions.
- The problem with value judgments and why the “why” doesn’t matter.
- How to determine when you are putting your comfort above employee performance.
- Understanding how performance is reinforced passively.
- Understanding how performance is reinforced actively.
Unit 6: Performance Management – Conclusion:
- Understanding the Performance Management Model.
- Review and analysis of case studies.
- Application of the Performance Management Model.
- Measuring the outcomes of your performance management.
Unit 7: Writing and Delivering Performance Reviews:
- Elements of the performance review.
- Review and discussion of subjective and objective evaluation
- of performance.
- The problems with evaluating performance subjectively.
- How to evaluate performance objectively.
- Qualitative and quantitative evaluation of job performance.
- Providing performance feedback.
- How to cite performance factors and behaviors.
Unit 8: Writing and Delivering Performance Reviews - Conclusion:
- Communication skills and techniques.
- Getting employee commitment and buy-in.
- Monitoring and maintaining employee progress.
- Application of the skills and techniques for writing a performance review.
- Application of the skills and techniques for delivering a performance review.
- Measuring the outcomes of your writing and delivery of a review.
Sally Klauss, MBA, CPCC, has an extensive background in management, employee training and development, total quality management and business management. She is also a leadership coach specializing in management development. She has experience teaching this program face-to-face for Riverside Community College.
Upon successful completion of this course you will:
Be able to self-assess your own competencies and know what you need to develop to maximize your effective as a supervisor
Employ strategies to create productive and cooperative staff relationships
Establish yourself as a leader in creating benefits to your organization and motivate staff to do the same
Delegate responsibility with confidence to create a more productive work environment
Be able to recognize and address problem behavior before it becomes too serious
Motivate and reward staff effort
Know what to include in a performance review and create a system for monitoring information that should be in the review
Be effective in correcting problem behaviors
Be effective in setting performance goals
To clarify the role and responsibilities of the supervisor
To develop specific strategies to maximize leadership in the work setting
To learn through discussion and workshop exercises, how to leverage benefits and functions of management for maximum productivity
To understand the importance of effective delegation
To understand the importance of managing performance to maximum productivity
To understand the key elements of effective performance reviews
Make every day count. Discover your passions. Advance your career. Play and learn.
I started a new job as a graphic and web designer and the digital badge I got was part of the reason they chose to hire me. I couldn't have done it without you!
David is a truly amazing teacher who makes learning the harmonica lots of fun. His enthusiasm is contagious and he has a heart of gold.
The Writing Salon was so much more than a writing class. The experience was energetic, enthusiastic and supportive. I highly recommend this class for anyone who wants to develop their skills as a writer!
As always, your Spanish classes are packed with new information about the language. You make it easy to learn Spanish and keep it very interesting. Thank you!
I have participated in many LLI classes over the past two years. Gary is a terrific discussion facilitator and brings excellent background knowledge to our classes. I'm learning so much about Foreign Policy.
Just want to let you know how much I enjoyed your class. Hope you will have more classes since I am a novice in the wine area and am anxious to learn.