In the Basic RiderCourse (BRC):
- You will participate in classroom and hands-on instruction.
- Learn the fundamental skills of straight-line riding, shifting, turning, and stopping, then work toward developing more complex street skills including essential braking, turning, and swerving techniques.
- You will also focus on developing good mental strategies and managing special situations.
- The motorcycles, helmets (if you do not have one of your own), and textbooks are provided.
You must provide:
- a long-sleeved shirt or jacket.
- long pants (heavy material with straight legs and no holes).
- sturdy over-the-ankle footwear (not cloth or canvas).
- full-fingered gloves (leather preferred).
- eye protection (glasses, goggles, or face shield).
Upon successful completion of the BRC, the Illinois Secretary of State's office will waive the written and riding tests for those who are 18 years of age or older. People who are 16 or 17 years of age must complete this course and take the written and riding tests with the Secretary of State to be eligible for a class M motorcycle endorsement.
|Illinois Secretary of State's Office - Chicago North|
|5401 N. Elston Ave., Chicago, IL 60689|
|Classes meet at the red gooseneck trailer in the rear of the facility.|