LLI members enjoy great discussions, innovative classes and new friendships.
LLI is an intellectual and social experience designed for ages aged 50 and above. Enroll in LLI to engage in fresh, relevant and fun courses with topics including: art, books and literature, current events, entertaining, genealogy, health and wellness, history, music, travel and writing. Our instructors are distinguished Harper College faculty, professors, and other experts in a variety of professional fields who create engaging and innovative programs specifically for lifelong learners.
Click here to purchase LLI membership or call the Harper College Continuing Education registration team at 847.925.6300 for more information.
LLI Membership says you love learning for a lifetime and are able to help support the program, although membership is optional. The $50 annual membership fee for the 2018-19 year is used exclusively to cover program development costs and provides these benefits:
- Advance mailings of the LLI brochure three times a year to help you get ready for courses scheduled for the next term.
- Fifty percent discounts on selected courses.
- Exclusive members-only courses, where seats are limited.
Here's what our LLI members are saying:
- "Lifelong Learning at Harper keeps my brain cells charging! I learn about a subject that is brand new to me or is an 'old favorite'...and no homework or final exam."
- "I've enjoyed making time for Harper's Lifelong Learning Institute for several years now. As all retirees know, our days are filled with lots to do, and Harper gives us the added advantage of new ideas, programs, lectures and an opportunity to meet like-minded people. I consider the membership fee that the Institute charges one of the best investments I've made."
- "I'm a member of Harper's LLI because I have always loved to learn new things in many different areas, especially history, music of all types, painting, sculpture and current events. LLI offers reasonably priced classes in these areas taught by interesting experts. It's a productive and fulfilling way to spend my time."
- "I have enjoyed the LLI so much. It is providing for me the classes I didn't get to take when I was younger and of course, there is no testing!"
- "Harper's Lifelong Learning program has been a great place to learn more about the things I'm interested in, to broaden my horizons, and to make new friends. I have really enjoyed the variety of courses. Now, if we only had a course about how to make more time in one's day!"
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of courses and activities does LLI offer?
LLI offers a mix of lectures, short-term courses, and seminars presented in media-equipped classrooms at Harper College and in some cases at partner sites across the Harper College District.
Are there homework assignments, tests, grades and other requirements?
LLI courses require no prerequisites, grades or exams. Some instructors may suggest reading certain texts and other materials for participants to gain full benefit from the class experience.
What do classes cost?
LLI course fees are designed to cover the direct costs of running classes, while being low enough to make it possible for fixed-income students and others to attend. Fees are listed after each course description in the catalog. Some courses carry the same fee for both LLI members and nonmembers, while most others are available to members at a discounted fee.
Where do LLI classes meet?
LLI courses are held at the Harper College main campus (1200 W Algonquin Rd, Palatine, IL 60067) and at LLI partner sites. Free parking is available at all LLI course locations.
Are classes or events ever cancelled?
Every effort is made to hold all LLI classes scheduled. However, a minimum enrollment is set for most classes, and a course will be cancelled if the minimum enrollment is not met.