Outlaw Country has been a label, a movement, a state of mind! We’ll cover the big names starting with Hank Williams and moving to Johnny Cash. You will hear about Waylon and Willie, Tompall Glaser and Jessie Colter. You will consider Gram Parsons and his work with The Rolling Stones and Emmylou Harris. Then our focus is in Texas: Steve Earle, Billy Joe Shaver, Kris Kristofferson, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zant and the trio that make up The Flatlanders – Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock and Joe Ely. You’ll listen to the music, consider the image packaging and the politics in an effort to situate Outlaw Country in our culture.
1. Outlaw Country gets it's start: Hank Williams, Johnny Cash
2. Discuss Wanted! The Outlaws - the album that solidified the outlaw movement
3. The politics of Kristofferson and Steve Earle
4. Hard drinking and revered songwriting
5. Willie Nelson got popular
6. Gram Parsons crosses the ocean and boundaries: Keith Richards and Emmylou Harris as musical partners.
6. What's in the image?