Being engaged with your online learners throughout the course is one of the three biggest challenges for online teachers. It is also one of the three most important things you can do to take your course to the next level, making it a superior learning experience for your learners. Experience how to excel at the concepts and practice of "continual engagement" in teaching. Discover how to build student success through your interactions, giving online learners feedback, and communicating with them about everything from subject matter to delicate issues to grading. You will take away advanced and practical how-to tips from one of the foremost authorities on fostering online discussion, and you will experience first-hand how to build great interaction and engagement in the online environment.
Login information will be sent to your email address three days prior to the start of class.
Course OutlineUnit 1
- What is continual engagement?
- Why is continual engagement important?
- Breaking down the barriers to effective continual engagement in your discussion interaction
- Why continual engagement in online discussion is important to your students’ success
- Choosing your words carefully in discussion interaction
- Strategies to use at the beginning of your term
- Strategies to use as the term gets underway
- Strategies to use when things get hectic
Assessing Your Students’ Performance
- Giving effective feedback
- Communicating with students about grades
- Some special challenges of group work and how to overcome them
- How networking with your peers can build your skills
- Using break times effectively
- Working with an assistant
- How online interaction enhances your face-to-face instruction
Learner OutcomesAfter attending this course, you will be:
- Become a more effective online communicator with your students
- Be able to model the benefits of continual engagement for your students
- Understand how to assess your students’ online performance in meaningful ways
- Know how to foster effective online discussion
- Understand how your continual engagement maximizes your online students’ success
- Learn how to keep your online course communication momentum going strong throughout the term
- Learn strategies for continuing to develop your online communication potential
Applies Towards the Following Digital Badges
- Online Teaching Digital Badge - Online : Required Courses