Designed for non-lawyers, this course provides business owners, managers, supervisors, and HR professionals with a roadmap for effectively handling complicated employee-related issues that affect today’s legal action-prone work environment. Each class contains guidelines, step-by-step compliance instructions, and practical leadership skills, methods, and techniques plus proven strategies for successfully managing employees and for complying with state and federal workplace laws.
Login information will be sent to your email three days prior to the start of class.
About Your Instructor
Lupe McElroy is a specialist with over 25 years of experience in the field of human resources and workplace law compliance. She owns & manages LTM Associates, a Human Resources Consulting & Training firm, in Southern CA., specializing in Workplace Law Compliance, Employee Problem Resolution, Interview & Hiring Practices, At-Will Employment Practices, Workplace Safety, Workers Compensation, and Leadership Training/Development.
Ms. McElroy has been teaching HR focused, leadership enhancement, and workplace law compliance classes for over 8-years. Her classes are highly interactive, interesting & fun, while providing students with valuable information and leadership skills that promote positive results in today’s hectic work environment.
Workplace Law Compliance
- HR/Employer Recordkeeping Requirements.
- Company Policies and Handbooks (What Works for You and Against in Court).
- Understanding Federal Mandated Leave-of-Absence Laws (Guidelines, Forms, Policies & Tracking).
- Legal Guidelines for Layoffs, Downsizing/Restructuring, Handling Unemployment Claims & Employee Recall Rights.
- Joint (Dual) Employer Liability (Does It Apply to Your Workplace)?
Supervisors & The Law
- How to Legally Track, Document & Discipline Employees.
- How to Effectively Handle Employee Absenteeism & Punctuality Issues.
- How to Handle Disgruntled & Bad-Attitude Employees without the Fear of Threats or Lawsuits.
- Preventing Supervisor Liability (Employee Confidentiality/Privacy Issues, Discrimination, Retaliation, Bullying & Harassment).
Handling Employee Grievances and Complaints
- Understanding the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Process.
- Legal “Do’s & Don’ts” for Handling Employee Grievances.
- How to Develop an Effective Internal Dispute Resolution Policy/Procedure.
- EEOC Guidelines for Conducting Workplace Investigations.
Selecting, Interviewing and Hiring the Best People
- Guidelines for Pre-Screening Job Candidates.
- How to Legally/Effectively Get Candidates to Talk About Reprimands, Previous Employers & Terminations.
- Developing Excellent Interviewing Skills (Legal “Do’s & Don’ts”).
- How to Catch Resume Fraud, Fakes, & Liars.
- Guidelines for Legally Extending & Retracting Job Offers.
1. To provide those in the workplace with knowledge, leadership skills, and legal guidelines to help them successfully structure and manage the “people side” of their business.
2. To provide employers with key leadership skills, methods, and techniques to help them better manage and handle employee-related issues, problems & concerns.
3. To give students the knowledge and insight on how to protect their company from employee-related potential workplace liability issues.
4. To provide leadership skills that can promote positive employee morale, organizational success and profits.
5. To provide ready-to-use action plans for successfully managing the most difficult employee meetings and for effectively dealing with difficult-personality employees and potential legal issues.
1. To provide those in the workplace with knowledge, education, and insight on how to protect their company from potential workplace liability issues in today’s diverse and legal-prone work environment.
2. To help students learn basic fundamentals of workplace law compliance (understanding the doctrine of employment-at-will doctrine, how to effectively develop/implement company policies that will stand up in court, & what HR forms, policies, and record-keeping requirements employers are mandated to have, and how to prevent employee-related threats and lawsuits).
3. To assist students to acquire a comprehensive understanding of mandated leave-of-absence laws, how to determine leave eligibility, when legally track & document the leave, and how to effectively handle employee absenteeism and punctuality issues related the employee’s serious/chronic medical condition.
4. To give students the knowledge to acquire comprehensive dispute/resolution skill, including tips and techniques for handling sensitive and difficult employee meetings in the areas of hiring, firing, employee discipline, leave-of-absence mandates, effective communication, and the proper handling of employee grievances.
5. To give students the learning for excellent interview skills and guidelines, how to catch resume fraud, how to legally extend and retract job offers, and legal alternatives for dealing with bad hiring mistakes without fear of retaliation.