Must have skills to succeed in the workplace include the ability to create, edit and manage presentations in MS PowerPoint, documents in MS Word, email and calendars in MS Outlook, and spreadsheets in MS Excel. Microsoft Office Suite of applications is the most used software tool in the world. Stay current with this class, as it is always up to date and will change as the features of MS Office change over time. You will leave class with a set of skills that are a workplace requirement in today’s fast paced ever-changing environment and will enable your future career success.
Course OutlineUnit 1
Introduction to Microsoft Word
Explore the different parts of the Word document and document navigation
Learn how to format paragraphs, line spacing and fonts
Add and modify bullets, lists, tables, headers, footers, page numbers and page breaks
Insert graphical elements including drawing objects, pictures, and charts
Utilize proofing features like spell check and grammar check
Explore the different parts of the Excel worksheet and document navigation
Understand cells and their makeup and how to populate, format and merge cells
Create and manage formulas, tables, charts, and multiple worksheet “workbooks”
Printing and PDF file creation including setting print areas
Introduction to Microsoft PowerPoint
Explore the different parts of the PowerPoint presentation
Understand slides and their makeup
Create, Insert and format slides
Insert and modify text, tables, charts, graphics, videos and images
Understand Outlook navigation and how the various aspects work together
View, create and respond to email messages; format emails and set signature(s)
Email etiquette: CC, BCC, threads, quoting and textual interpretation
Navigate and search email folders
Set email forwarding and filtering rules
Request and edit appointments and respond to meeting requests
About Your Instructor:
Betsy Flanagan is a business architect, innovator and entrepreneur. With a passion for workforce engagement, she co-founded WorkStrengths where she advises individuals on career strategy and companies on best practices in workforce management including talent management, professional development, motivation and retention strategies.
Flanagan’s professional history includes founding successful startups, top corporate executive strategic advisory work, line management responsibility in startups and large organizations, innovation and change management agent, and being Investor Relations company spokesperson for a Fortune 25 company.
Learner OutcomesUpon completion of this course you will:
- Understand how to use Excel to create effective spreadsheets for use in business
- Understand how to use Word to create effective documents for use in business
- Understand how to use PowerPoint to create effective presentations for use in business
- Understand how to use Outlook to manage communication and scheduling
- Know how Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook integrate with each other and can be used together
- Learn the fundamental computer competencies you need to succeed in today’s workplace
- Learn how to operate Excel as a spreadsheet creation and management tool
- Learn how to operate Word as a document creation and management tool
- Learn how to operate PowerPoint as a presentation creation and management tool
- Learn how to operate Outlook as a communications and scheduling tool
- Discover how various menu items, commands, settings and processes affects the look of your Excel worksheets, PowerPoint presentation, Word files, and Outlook emails
- Explore how Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook integrate with each other
Make every day count. Discover your passions. Advance your career. Play and learn.
I started a new job as a graphic and web designer and the digital badge I got was part of the reason they chose to hire me. I couldn't have done it without you!
David is a truly amazing teacher who makes learning the harmonica lots of fun. His enthusiasm is contagious and he has a heart of gold.
The Writing Salon was so much more than a writing class. The experience was energetic, enthusiastic and supportive. I highly recommend this class for anyone who wants to develop their skills as a writer!
As always, your Spanish classes are packed with new information about the language. You make it easy to learn Spanish and keep it very interesting. Thank you!
I have participated in many LLI classes over the past two years. Gary is a terrific discussion facilitator and brings excellent background knowledge to our classes. I'm learning so much about Foreign Policy.
Just want to let you know how much I enjoyed your class. Hope you will have more classes since I am a novice in the wine area and am anxious to learn.