Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update:
04/29/2020 - Our office will remain closed and all personnel working from home until no sooner than June 1. We will not have access to voicemail until after that time. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions and we will respond as we are able to.
05/11/2020 - All motorcycle safety classes have been cancelled through June 30. Classes at the College of Lake County have been cancelled through early July.
Additionally please be aware, the Motorcycle Program has had to cancel well in excess of 3,000 registered students. This, as well as cancelled Continuing Education and credit classes, has created a huge number of refunds for the business office to individually process which may take several weeks to complete. We appreciate your patience while you wait for your refund to show on your bank/credit card account.
Motorcycle Safety Training in Northern Illinois is Administered by Harper College
All Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) Motorcycle Safety Training Courses for Cook County and Northern Illinois are administered by Harper College. There is no charge for any of the courses, however, a refundable $20 deposit is collected at registration.
Courses are held at multiple locations throughout northern Illinois. Find the most convenient training site for you on the map near the bottom of this page and follow the enrollment instructions. Each training site offers the Basic Rider Course. In addition, some sites offer Intermediate, Advanced, and 3-Wheel courses.
Registration is now open for all training sites.
You must be at least 16 years of age at the time of your first course session.
You must be an Illinois resident.
You must have a valid learner's permit or driver's license, and you must bring it to class.
You must be on time for all course sessions including the first one, otherwise your seat may go to a walk-in student.
- All motorcycle enrollments and fee payments are done online.
- To enroll, you will be required to create an account on this website and pay the $20 registration fee with a credit/debit card.
- If no courses are currently available, check back for updates.
Classroom locations for our Palatine location can be found here.
- Get ready: Select and left-click a location from the list below under Courses. You will see which courses are offered at that site. Click on the course you want.
- Get set: Review the dates of the sections that are available. Select a section. If no sections are currently available, check back later for updates or request to be notified when the next section opens. To request a notification, create an account providing your email address.
- Go: Follow the steps to create an account, enroll, and pay the registration fee with your credit/debit card. That's it!
You will receive a receipt and acknowledgment of your enrollment at the email you provide when creating your account.
We take walk-ins in all course types. To be a walk-in for an eCourse BRC you MUST have a valid eCourse completion certificate. The walk-in process works as follows:
- Show up to the classroom prior to the start time for the class you want to attend.
- Talk with the instructor and you will be given a numbered ticket.
- You must bring a valid learner's permit or driver's license with you to class.
- At the appointed start time roll call will be taken and any vacant seats will be filled via a lottery process.
REQUIRED RIDING GEAR - all items required for all on-cycle instruction
- Helmet - a DOT certified 3/4 or full-face helmet must be worn (a 3/4 helmet will be provided, DOT half shell helmets allowed only in the Advanced RiderCourse)
- Protective eyewear - prescription or sunglasses, goggles, face shield
- Long sleeve jacket or shirt - no holes
- Long pants - denim or other sturdy material (no sweat or yoga pants, no hospital scrubs, no holes)
- Full-fingered gloves - Leather preferred
- Over-the-ankle footwear - Sturdy material (not cloth), must completely cover ankle
TRAINING SITE LOCATION MAP
- Each training site location is marked with a motorcycle map marker.
- The markers are placed either at the building entrance closest to the classroom or where the class meets on the first day.
- Classroom locations, as well as a campus map (if available), can be found by clicking the marker at the location where you are registered to take your RiderCourse.
- Classrooms may change due to changes in classroom needs at our training site partners and, this is particularly true for classes taking place at our Palatine location.
- Classroom locations for Palatine can be found by clicking on the Palatine location from the table of training locations further down the page.
- Illinois residency is required. You must be an Illinois resident with a permanent address in Illinois to register for these courses.
- Waiver or Release of Liability must be submitted by all students at their first class session. Students under 18 should obtain a Waiver Form, have it signed by a parent or guardian, and bring it with them to the first class. Download the Waiver Form.
- Be on time! All classes start on time. If you are late, your place may be given to a walk-in. Don't be left out.
- Refund requests: When you complete your class, you may request a refund of the $20 fee, or you may choose to waive the refund and help make it possible for others to take the course. You must submit a refund request within 30 days of the end of class or forfeit the fee.
Download a Fact Sheet with more details about our Motorcycle Safety Training program.