10/05/2020 - Over the weekend, during a 3-Wheel Basic Rider Course, there was a serious single vehicle motorcycle crash. The student involved in the crash died as a result of their injuries. Out of respect for the family, Harper College has decided to cancel the remainder of the motorcycle safety training season at all sites.
Harper College Motorcycle Safety Program
All Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) Cycle Rider Safety Training Program (CRSTP) courses for the Northern Illinois region (see state regoinal center map here) are administered by Harper College. Aside from a refundable $20 deposit, there is no fee for any of our courses.
Courses are held at multiple locations throughout northern Illinois. Find the most convenient training site for you on the map near the bottom of this page and follow the enrollment instructions. Each training site offers the Basic Rider Course (BRC). In addition, some sites offer Intermediate (BRC2), Advanced (ARC), and 3-Wheel (3WBRC) courses.
- You must be at least 16 years of age at the time of your first course session.
- You must be an Illinois resident.
- You must have a valid learner's permit or driver's license. You will not be allowed into class without it; this is non-negotiable.
- You must be on time for all course sessions including the first one.
If no course sections are currently available for registration at a particular training site, please check back later for updates. Things are changing rapidly as we move through the COVID-19 pandemic.
All course registration is done online.
- Get ready: Select and left-click a location from the list below under Courses near the bottom of this page. You will see which course types are offered at that site. Click on the course type you want.
- Get set: Review the dates of the sections that are available. Select a section. If no sections are currently available, check back later for updates or request to be notified when the next section opens. To request a notification you will need to either create an account providing your email address or login to your existing account.
- Go: Follow the steps to create an account, enroll, and pay the refundable $20 registration fee with your credit/debit card. That's it!
A transaction receipt and acknowledgment of your enrollment will be sent to the email address you provide when creating your account. Be sure to check your spam folder if you do not see those emails.
Due to issues presented by the COVID-19 pandemic we will not be accepting walk-ins into any motorcycle classes for the 2020 training season. We apologize for this inconvenience.
REQUIRED RIDING GEAR
*During the COVID-19 pandemic all students must comply with the Required Riding Gear and additionally will be required to wear either a mask while on the training range. It is suggested that you bring your own helmet if possible however, helmets will be issued, for the duration of the class, to students who do not have their own helmet.
All items are required and non-negotiable for all on-cycle instruction. Failure to bring these items will result in your dismissal from class.
- Helmet - a DOT certified 3/4 or full-face helmet (a 3/4 helmet will be provided if you do not have a helmet of your own, DOT half shell helmets will be allowed only in the Advanced RiderCourse)
- We recommend bringing a bandana or some other thin fabric head covering to wear if you borrow a program helmet
- Protective eyewear - prescription or sunglasses, goggles, face shield
- Long sleeve jacket or shirt - no holes
- Long pants - denim or other sturdy material (no sweat pants, no yoga pants, no hospital scrubs, no holes)
- Full-fingered gloves - leather preferred
- Over-the-ankle footwear - sturdy material (not cloth), must completely cover ankle
TRAINING SITE LOCATION MAP
- Each training site location is marked with a motorcycle map marker.
- The markers are placed either at the building entrance closest to the classroom or where the class meets on the first day.
- Classroom locations, as well as a campus map (if available), can be found by clicking the marker at the location where you wish to take your RiderCourse.
- Classrooms may change due to changes in the needs of our training site partners, this is particularly true for classes taking place at our Palatine location.
- Classroom locations for Palatine can be found by clicking on the Palatine location from the list of training locations further down the page.
Waiver or Release of Liability must be submitted by all students at their first class session. Students under 18 should obtain a Waiver Form, have it signed by a parent or guardian, and bring it with them to the first class. Download the Waiver Form.
Be on time! All classes start on time. If you are late, even if you are a registered student, your seat may be given to a walk-in. Don't be left out.
Refund requests: When you complete your class, you may request a refund of your $20 deposit or you may choose to forfeit your deposit and help make it possible for the program to improve or purchase new equipment. Click THIS link to submit a refund request form.
Download a Fact Sheet with more details about the Motorcycle Safety Program and our classes.