Motorcycle Safety Training in Northern Illinois is Administered by Harper College
All Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) Motorcycle Safety Training Courses for Cook County and Northern Illinois are administered by Harper College. There is no charge for any of the courses, however, a refundable $20 deposit is collected at registration.
Courses are held at multiple locations throughout northern Illinois. Find the most convenient training site for you on the map and follow the enrollment instructions. Each training site offers the Basic Rider Course. In addition, some sites offer Intermediate, Advanced, and 3-Wheel courses.
Harper College Campus Construction Notice
Beginning September 3rd the right turn lane to enter campus from Roselle Rd will be closed due to a construction project. however you can still enter campus from Roselle Rd. You can also enter campus either from Algonquin Rd or Euclid Ave. Here is a link to a Harper College campus map to assist you in getting around campus to Building W where our classes meet.
Upcoming Courses with Availability:
|Type||Location||Course #||Start Date|
|BRC||Highland Community College (Freeport, IL)||LMT0003-075||11/1/2019|
|3WBRC||Harper College (Palatine, IL)||LMT0037-019||10/17/2019|
|3WBRC||Nielsen Enterprises Marine Center (Lake Villa, IL)||LMT0040-011||10/31/2019|
|BRC2 (Intermediate)||South Suburban College (Oak Forest, IL)||LMT0022-012||11/3/2019|
You must be at least 16 years of age at the time of your first course session.
You must be an Illinois resident.
You must have a valid learner's permit or driver's license.
You must be on time for all course sessions including the first one, otherwise your seat may go to a walk-in student.
- All motorcycle enrollments and fee payments are done online.
- To enroll, you will be required to create an account on this website and pay the $20 registration fee with a credit/debit card.
- If no courses are currently available, check back for updates.
Classroom locations for our Palatine location can be found here.
REGISTRATION IS OPEN FOR ALL TRAINING SITES
- Get ready: Select and left-click a location from the list below under Courses. You will see which courses are offered at that site. Click on the course you want.
- Get set: Review the dates of the sections that are available. Select a section. If no sections are currently available, check back later for updates or request to be notified when the next section opens. To request a notification, create an account providing your email address.
- Go: Follow the steps to create an account, enroll, and pay the registration fee with your credit/debit card. That's it!
You will receive a receipt and acknowledgment of your enrollment at the email you provide when creating your account.
We take walk-ins in all course types, with the exception of any eCourse classes. The process works as follows:
- Show up to the classroom prior to the start time for the class you want to attend.
- Talk with the instructor and you will be given a numbered ticket.
- At the appointed start time roll call will be taken and any vacant seats will be filled via a lottery process.
REQUIRED RIDING GEAR - all items required for all on-cycle instruction
- Helmet - a 3/4 or full-face helmet must be worn (a 3/4 helmet will be provided, half shell helmets allowed in the Advanced RiderCourse)
- Protective eyewear - prescription or sunglasses, goggles, face shield
- Long sleeve jacket or shirt - no holes
- Long pants - denim or other sturdy material (no sweat or yoga pants, no hospital scrubs, no holes)
- Full-fingered gloves - Leather preferred
- Over-the-ankle footwear - Sturdy material, must completely cover ankle
TRAINING SITE LOCATION MAP
- Each training site location is marked with a motorcycle map marker.
- The markers are placed either at the building entrance closest to the classroom or where the class meets on the first day.
- Classroom locations, as well as a campus map (if available), can be found by clicking the marker at the location where you are registered to take your RiderCourse.
- Classrooms may change due to changes in classroom needs at our training site partners end, this is particularly true for classes taking place at our Palatine location.
- Classroom locations for Palatine can be found by clicking on the Palatine location from the table further down the page.
- Illinois residency is required. You must be an Illinois resident with a permanent address in Illinois to register for these courses.
- Waiver or Release of Liability must be submitted by all students at their first class session. Students under 18 should obtain a Waiver Form, have it signed by a parent or guardian, and bring it with them to the first class. Download the Waiver Form.
- Be on time! All classes start on time. If you are late, your place may be given to a walk-in or standby student. Don't be left out.
- Refund requests: When you complete your class, you may request a refund of the $20 fee, or you may choose to waive the refund and help make it possible for others to take the course. You must submit a refund request within 30 days of the end of class or forfeit the fee.
Download a Fact Sheet with more details about our Motorcycle Safety Training program.